Friday, April 17, 2015

Minimum Wage Response

I first came across Kat's post because of Robert's well thought out response. While I mostly agree with Robert on this issue, I do have a couple of thoughts to add.

Like Robert, I tend to find the best in people. I believe people can overcome their circumstances if they choose to work hard. I think everyone is capable of making a contribution to society.

I do not, however, believe that the minimum wage should be a blanket setting. When I say that I mean I don't think there should be one minimum wage for all of America. I believe the minimum wage should reflect the cost of living in your city. Living in Austin, for example is much more expensive than living in a smaller city. I can imagine that a family in a city with high living costs could have a difficult time making ends meet. I certainly do not believe life on minimum wage should be comfortable. If you want a more lavish lifestyle, go out and work for it. Take the necessary steps to get yourself there. But if that family is having difficulties making ends meet, tax payer dollars are probably going to come into effect when they need to live in subsidized housing.

All I'm saying is that I believe it's important that basic needs can be met by living on minimum wage, because everyone needs to start somewhere. But like Robert said, perseverance, hard work, and motivation are everything in achieving a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment